Anca Wessels PR# 0438685
(Hons) Sport Science (UP)
(Hons) Biokinetics (UP)
Registered with HPCSA and BASA
Special interest areas:
- Neck and upper back injuries (chronic headaches and poor posture)
- Shoulder injuries (impingement, frozen shoulder, dislocation)
- Lower back injuries (sciatica, fusion, herniated disc, SIJ pain)
- Hip injuries (clicking hip syndrome, hip replacement, bursitis)
- Knee injuries (ACL repair, patella dislocation, ITB syndrome, hamstring tendinopathy)
- Ankle injuries (ankle sprain, ankle instability, flat feet)
Athletes and sports injuries
- Event preparation (Iron Man, Comrades, Epic, Midmar Mile)
- Rehabilitation of injuries for specific sporting event.
Pre- and postnatal
- Neck and upper back pain
- Lower back pain and SIJ pain
- Core and pelvic floor strengthening
- Strengthening to assist with activities of everyday living
- Specific focus on low muscle tone and inflexibility
Children aged 6 – 16 years
- ADHD and ADD
- Low muscle tone
- Preperation / training for a specific sport
- Focus on weight loss
- Rehabilitation of weight related joint injuries
What is Biokinetics
This profession is concerned with health promotion, the maintenance of physical abilities and final phase rehabilitation, by means of scientifically-based physical activity programme prescription
A Biokineticist’s primary function is to improve physical functioning and health care through exercise.
A Biokineticist is a clinical exercise specialist who:
- Functions within professional alliance to health and medicine, and is recognised by and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- Improves a person’s physical wellbeing and quality of life through individualised scientific assessment and the prescription of exercise in rehabilitative treatment to prevent or intervene with certain ailments and the enhancement of performance (sport and work).
- Evaluates & Measures: body posture, biomechanics, heart rate, fitness, muscle strength, endurance, power, flexibility, body composition, blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol levels, and other health screenings.
- Is a health professional that through health promotion and wellness creates a better quality of life for people they work with.
The Biokinetic process
A Biokineticists is an exercise specialist that focuses on individualised exercise prescription. These consist of cardiovascular, strengthening, stretching and functional exercises which are based on the individual’s specific needs and goals.
The process starts with an initial assessment that consists of the following: (45 – 60 min)
- History taking
- Posture analysis
- Flexibility tests
- Strength tests
- Functional movement analysis
- Gait analysis
- Goal setting and discussion on going forward
After the areas of focus have been determined, the one on one exercise sessions can begin. This consists of: (45 min)
- Warm up
- Education on activities of everyday living (desk set up / car seat set up)
- Gait training
- Stability exercises
(All of the above exercises will vary depending on the desired outcome for each individual)
After 6 – 8 weeks a follow up assessment is done to determine if the initial areas of focus has been met and to discuss a maintenance program.
During the maintenance process a regular once a month session is recommended to adjust the exercises and check up on progress.
Booking and contact details
For any further info or to make a booking feel free to contact me on 083 785 5125 or at email@example.com